Saturday 30 July 2011

My Trip from Mt Ive Station North to the Gulf then East to Townsville

G'day, I am travelling about Australia at present and am in Queensland at Noosa, heading south gradually. I will update my stories when I can. It may be a bit spasmodic as I will be on the road a lot. I have travelled 4800km from Mt Ive Station to Kingoonya, Alice Springs, Threeways, Barkly Homestead, Cape Crawford Barkly Homestead, Mt Isa, Townsville, Rockhampton, Rainbow Bay, Gympie & Noosa since June12th 2011 and have another 2600 to go before I get back to the station in South Australia. The weather has been mild 22C with no wind. Tony my little German Schnauzer is travelling well. Im travelling in a Ford Ute with a canopy. I have a swag inside plus a gasstove and food and water, plus bare necessities. From Noosa I travelled south straight through Brisbane to Coolangatta on the Gold Coast. I pulled up there at the front beach took out my gas stove boiled the billy made a cuppa and a sandwich and sat at the table and chairs provided. It was a glorious sunny calm winters day. I went for a walk along the beautiful beach there then packed up and headed south for Coffs Harbour and Nana Glen where my daughter Michelle was living. that night I camped in a private camp grounds near Woodburn. Most places I camped at usually charged me $10-$12 a night but I would often find a free camp. Only if I was desperate for a shower would I pay. The next day I travelled through Grafton ( my favourite place to live in Australia) and arrived at Nana Glen just in time to recuperate from the flu. I spent 2 weeks in Nana Glen visiting some of my favourite restaurants and coffee shops at Woolgoolga, Coffs Harbour and Sawtell. From there I headed north to Lismore and camped by Michelle at the Lismore Palms Caravan Park which has a lovely setting near the Wilsons River. After a couple days with Michelle I then ventured west to Tabulam and along the Bruxner Highway to Tenterfield where I had a lovely afternoon tea at a local tea gardens on the way in. I then checked in at the Tenterfield Saddler as one must then continued on to Glen Innes where I camped in my ute in a quiet back street. Next morning  I was on the road early heading for Inverell, Moree, Warialda, Walgett then on to Bourke where I camped the night by the Darling river not far from Kidmans camp. The River Gums there were quite old and large, great spot. From Bourke I headed south along the Darling on the Wilcannia-Burke road which was dirt but a very good road. I camped the next night not far from Tilpa by the river.  I travelled through Wilcannia the next morning then on to Broken Hill down to Port Augusta and back home to Mt Ive station in the Gawler Ranges west of Iron Knob. I left towards end of May and arrived back end of August.

1 comment: